Laurie Watson, MA, LMFT, LPC, Director
Laurie Watson, MA, LMFT, Director of Awakenings, certified sex therapist has twenty-five years of experience working with couples and individuals about love and sex. Laurie says, “I’ve never seen a couple who I didn’t feel hope about their healing and happiness. The difficulty is convincing them to give up the idea that only their partner will have to change!”
She authored her first book Wanting Sex Again – How to Rediscover Desire and Heal a Sexless Marriage (Penguin) in December 2012. A popular blogger for the general public with over 1.6 million reads on Psychology Today Online in Married and Still Doing It, Laurie also lectures professionals at Duke’s and UNC Chapel Hill’s medical schools on sexual function and dysfunction. Featured in her hometown in the N&O, Laurie has also been published or quoted in most every nationally popular magazine like Glamour, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Cosmopolitan, etc. A popular media figure, she has appeared on the Katie Couric Show and is regularly on radio and television in Raleigh and Greensboro. Director/owner of Awakenings, Center for Intimacy and Sexuality, Laurie supervises 6 clinicians in both Raleigh and Greensboro.
She’s a member of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, has been married for 28 years and has three grown sons.
- NC Licensed Marriage Family Therapist
- NC Licensed Professional Counselor
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Newport Psychoanalytic Institute, CA
- Certified Sex Therapist with American Association of Sexual Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT)
- Professional Member of SSTAR (Society of Sex Therapists and Researchers)
- Professional member of AAMFT (American Association of Marriage Family, Therapists)
- MA, Marriage, Family Therapy, Azusa Pacific University, CA, 1991
Dr. Adam Mathews
Dr. Mathews has a PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy and is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Licensed Professional Counselor. He currently see clients at his private practice in Cary, NC and is an adjunct professor of Marriage and Family Therapy at Northcentral University. He has over 10 years of experience counseling individuals, couples and families from a wide diversity of backgrounds. You can contact him through his website or email.